Recent Award Highlights
Southern Rockies Watershed Project wins the 2014 Emerald Award
Professor Uldis Silins
, leading a diverse group of natural resource scientists spanning every discipline from headwaters climatology and wildfire ecology to water treatment process engineering, natural resource economics and even sociology—was named winner of the 2014 Emerald Challenge Award for Water.
Wolf biologist receives the 2013 Queen Elisabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal
Adjunct Professor Lu Carbyn
received the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for services to wildlife conservation in Canada in 2013. The medal, which honours significant contributions and achievements by Canadians, is administered by the Chancellery of Honours at Rideau Hall. He pioneered the study wild wolves portrayed in fiction by Farley Mowat's popular book and film, Never Cry Wolf.
Best known as the host and creative force of Acorn, the Nature Nut, an award winning television series, John Acorn was recognized for promoting science and sharing his passion for nature to a general audience. In 2008, he won NSERC's Michael Smith Award for Science Promotion and in 1998, he was the recipient of the ASTech Award for Excellence in Science and Technology Journalism.
Chairholders aim to achieve research excellence in engineering and the natural sciences, health sciences, humanities, and social sciences. They improve our depth of knowledge and quality of life, strengthen Canada's international competitiveness, and help train the next generation of highly skilled people through student supervision, teaching, and the coordination of other researchers' work. Current chairholders are:
- Nadir Erbilgin, Canada Research Chair in Forest Entomology
- Uwe Hacke, Canada Research Chair in Tree-Water Relations
- Fangliang He, Canada Research Chair in Biodiversity and Landscape Modeling
- Simon Landhäusser, NSERC Industrial Chair in Forest Land Reclamation and Applied Forest Ecology
- David Olefeldt, CAIP Chair in Wetland Restoration and Catchment Management
- William Shotyk, Bocock Chair in Agriculture and the Environment
- Barb Thomas, NSERC Industrial Research Chair in Tree Improvement
- The Breton Plot Management Team won the ASTech Foundation Agriculture Award for 2015.
- Phil Comeau received the Tree of Life Award, Canadian Institute of Forestry, Rocky Mountain Section.
- Lu Carbyn, Adjunct Professor, received the Distinguished Service Award from the Wildlife Society.
- Ellen Macdonald received the Ed and Peggy Tyrchniewicz Award for Innovation in Teaching.
- Janusz Zwiazek received the Faculty of Ales Taeching Award.
- Janusz Zwiazek, Rene Belland, Uldis Silins, Fiona Schmiegelow, Nadir Erbilgin and Phil Comeau were chosen as the 2014/15 Faculty of ALES "Teachers of the Year".
- Andreas Hamann was awarded the NAGS/ETS Award for Excellence and Innovation in Graduate Education and a University of Alberta McCalla Professorship.
- Ellen Macdonald received the Canadian Institute of Forestry Scientific Achievement Award.
- Fiona Schmiegelow was inducted as a Fellow of the Royal Canadian Geographic Society.
- Guillermo Hernandez Ramirez received the American Society of Agronomy Environmental Quality Section Inspiring Young Scientist Award.
- The Southern Rockies Watershed Project, led by Uldis Silins, was awarded the Alberta Emerald Award for Environmental Excellence and the Canada Council of the Federation 2014 Excellence in Water Stewardship award.
- Scott Chang was awarded the University of Alberta Killam Annual Professorship.
- Vic Lieffers received the Forest Ecology and Management Certificate of Reviewing Excellence.
- Janusz Zwiazek, Andreas Hamann, Scott Nielsen, Rene Belland, Uldis Silins and Anne Naeth were chosen as the 2013/14 Faculty of ALES "Teachers of the Year".
- Andreas Hamann, Scott Nielsen, Rene Belland, John Acorn, Janusz Zwiazek and Anne Naeth were chosen as the 2012/13 Faculty of Agricultural, Life & Environmental Sciences "Teachers of the Year".
- John Acorn, awarded the 2013 Entomological Foundation Medal of Honor.
- Sarah Gooding, APO/Coordinator Research Services (Renewable Resources), Canadian Institute of Forestry's national Presidential Award.
- Lu Carbyn, Adjunct Professor (Renewable Resources), has received the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal.
- Sylvie Quideau was awarded a University of Alberta McCalla Professorship.
- Uwe Hacke received the CD Nelson Award, Canadian Society of Plant Physiologist.
- John Acorn won the 2012 Royal Society of Canada's McNeil Medal
- Sarah Gooding won the Faculty Distinguished Service Award
- Bill Shotyk was awarded the Philippe Duchaufour Medal of the European Geosciences Union
- Tariq Siddique is the winner of the Faculty Research and Innovation Award
- Debra Davidson was awarded a University of Alberta McCalla Professorship
- Scott Nielsen, Andreas Hamann, Anne Naeth, John Acorn, Janusz Zwiazek and Uldis Silins were awarded the Faculty Teacher of the Year Award and will be featured on the Faculty of Agricultural, Life & Environmental Sciences Teaching Wall of Fame
- Charlie Arshad, Adjunct Professor (Renewable Resources), received the Soil Science Distinguished Service Award (Soil Science Society of America)
- John Acorn won the 2010 ASTech Outstanding Leadership in Science Award for his contribution to Excellence in Science and Technology Public Awareness.
- Pak Chow was a recipient of the University of Alberta 2010 Support Staff Recognition Award.
- Anne Naeth - Vargo Teaching Chair (re-appointment)
- Ellen Macdonald, Anne Naeth, Andreas Hamann, Uldis Silins, David Chanasyk, and John Acorn were awarded the Faculty Teacher of the Year Award and will be featured on the Faculty of Agricultural, Life & Environmental Sciences Teaching Wall of Fame.
- Nadir Erbilgin won the ALES Research and Innovation Award for his work on mountain pine beetle.
- Bob Hudson received the Distinguished Service Award.
- Jared LeBoldus, graduate student in Renewable Resources, won a FGSR Graduate Student Teaching Award.
- Janusz Zwiazek won the prestigious IUFRO (International Union of Forest Research Organizations) Scientific Achievement Award and the David J Gifford Award in Tree Physiology
- Emmanuel Mapfumo, Instructor for the 2009-10 ENCS 455 Soil Remediation and ENCS 360 Soil and Water Conservation, was awarded the Environmental and Conservation Sciences Teaching Award by the Environmental and Conservation Sciences Students' Association.
- Janusz Zwiazek was awarded a University of Alberta McCalla Professorship and the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation Visiting Scientist Award
- Fiona Schmiegelow received the Boreal Leadership Council's Boreal Award
- Andreas Hamann won the Faculty of ALES Research and Innovation Award
- Anne Naeth, John Spence, John Acorn, Paul Woodard, Ellen Macdonald and Emmanuel Mapfumo were awarded the Faculty Teacher of the Year Award and will be featured on the Faculty of Agricultural, Life & Environmental Sciences Teaching Wall of Fame.
- Uldis Silins was awarded the Faculty Teaching Award and also received the Alberta Sustainable Resource Development Service Award
- Bob Hudson received the William Rowan Distinguished Service Award from the Alberta Chapter of the Wildlife Society
- Dick Puurveen won the Faculty of ALES Distinguished Service Award
- Adjunct Professor Charlie Arshad won the Faculty of ALES Award for International Engagement