Professor Emeritus - Hydrology, applied soil physics, reclamation, water quality
847 General Services Building
Major Responsibilities/Research Interests: Soil water, hydrology, snowmelt, runoff and erosion, soil compaction, land reclamation and water quality.
David Chanasyk is a participant in the Land Reclamation International Graduate School (LRIGS) program sponsored by NSERC CREATE.
Gardner, WC, MA Naeth, K Broersma, DS Chanasyk and AM Jobson. 2012. Influence of biosolids and fertilizer amendments on element concentrations and revegetation of copper mine tailings. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 92(1):89-102.
Naeth, MA, HA Archibald, CL Nemirsky, LA Leskiw, JA Brierley, MD Bock, AJ VandenBygaart and DS Chanasyk. 2012. Proposed classification for human modified soils in Canada: anthroposolic order. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 92(1):7-18.
Jackson, M.E., M.A. Naeth, D.S. Chanasyk, and C.K. Nichol. 2011. Phosphogypsum capping depth affects revegetation and hydrology in Western Canada. Journal of Environmental Quality 40(4): 1122-1129.
Miller, J., D. Chanasyk, T. Curtis, T. Entz and W. Willms. 2011. Environmental quality of Lower Little Bow River and riparian zone along an unfenced reach with off-stream watering. Agricultural Water Management 98(10): 1505-1515.
Miller, J.J. D.S. Chanasyk, T.W. Curtis and B.M. Olson. 2011. Phosphorus and nitrogen in runoff after phosphorus- or nitrogen-based manure applications. Journal of Environmental Quality 40(3): 949-958.
Gardner, W.C., K. Broersma, A. Naeth, D. Chanasyk and A. Jobson. 2010. Influence of biosolids and fertilizer amendments on physical, chemical and microbiological properties of copper mine tailings. Can. J. Soil Sci. 90: 571-583.
Naeth, M.A., D.S. Chanasyk and T.D. Burgers. 2011. Vegetation and soil water interactions on a tailings sand storage facility in the Athabasca oil sands region of Alberta Canada. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth 36: 19-30.
Rahbeh, M, D. Chanasyk and J. Miller. 2011. Two-way calibration-validation of SWAT model for a small prairie watershed with short observed record. Canadian Water Resources Journal 36(3):247-270.
Hallin, I.L., M.A. Naeth, D.S. Chanasyk and C.K. Nichol. 2010. Assessment of a reclamation cover system for phosphogypsum stacks in central Alberta, Canada. J. Environ. Qual. 39(6):160-2169.
Hemstock, S.S., S.A. Quideau and D.S. Chanasyk. 2010. Nitrogen availability form peat amendments used in boreal oil sands reclamation. Can. J. Soil Sci. 90: 165-175.
Miller, J.J., T.W. Curtis, E. Bremer, D.S. Chanasyk and W.D. Willms. 2010. Soil test phosphorus and nitrate adjacent to artificial and natural cattle watering sites in southern Alberta. Can. J. Soil Sci. 90: 3 331-340.
Miller, J.J., D.S. Chanasyk, T. Curtis and W.D. Willms. 2010. Influence of streambank fencing on the environmental quality of cattle-excluded pastures. J. Environ. Qual. 39: 991-1000.
Miller, J.J. and D.S. Chanasyk. 2010. Soil characteristics in relation to groundwater for selected Dark Brown Chernozems in southern Alberta. Can. J. Soil Sci. 90: 597-610.
Patterson, S.J., D.S. Chanasyk, M.A. Naeth and E. Mapfumo. 2009a. Effluent effects on the nutrient concentrations and growth of reed canarygrass (Phalaris arundinacea L.) and hybrid poplar (Populus deltoides × P. Petrowskyana L.). Can. J. Soil Sci. 89(2): 223-234.
Patterson, S.J., D.S. Chanasyk and V.S. Baron. 2009b. Growth of winter wheat irrigated with diluted kraft pulp mill effluent on soils amended with gypsum and wood ash. Can. J. Soil Sci. 89(5): 657-670.
Miller, J.J., D. Chanasyk, T. Curtis, T. Entz and W. Willms. 2009. Influence of streambank fencing with a cattle crossing on riparian health and water quality of the Lower Little Bow River in Southern Alberta, Canada. Agricultural Water Management 97(9):247-258.
Patterson, SJ, DS Chanasyk, MA Naeth, and E. Mapfumo. 2008a. Effect of municipal and pulp mill effluents on the chemical properties and nutrient status of a coarse textured Brunisol in a growth chamber. Can. J. Soil Sci. 88(3):429-441.
Patterson, SJ, DS Chanasyk, MA Naeth, and E. Mapfumo. 2008b. Effects of diluted Kraft pulp mill effluent on hybrid poplar and soil chemical properties. Irrig. Sci. 26(6):547-560.
Thibodeau, J, DS Chanasyk, and LG Fuller. 2008. Variability of vertical bromide redistribution within a hummocky landscape. Can. J. Soil Sci. 88:349-363.
Miller, JJ, BW Beasley, DS Chanasyk, FJ Larney, and BM Olson. 2008. Short-term nitrogen leaching potential of fresh and composted beef cattle manure applied to disturbed soil cores. Compost Science and Utilization 16(1): 12-19.
Wuite, James J, David S Chanasyk, and Muhammad A Akbar. 2008. Environmental and economic evaluation of cow-calf wintering site runoff control as a best management practice to improve surface water quality. Water Qual. Res. J. Canada 42(4):24-251.
Bradshaw, D.L., D.S. Chanasyk, V.S. Baron, and M.A. Naeth. 2007. Soil water regimes of annual and perennial forages during drought years in the Aspen Parkland ecoregion of Alberta. Can. J. Soil Sci. 87: 523-533.
Volf, C.A., G.R. Ontkean, D.R. Bennett, D.S. Chanasyk, and J.J. Miller. 2007. Phosphorus losses in simulated rainfall runoff from manured soils of Alberta. J. Environ. Qual. 36:730-741.
Olson, E.C.S., D.S. Chanasyk and J.J. Miller. 2006. Effects of bedding type and within-pen location on feedlot runoff. Trans. ASAE 49(4):905-914.
Chanasyk, D.S., E. Mapfumo and C.L.A. Chaikowsky. 2006. Estimating actual evapotranspiration using water budget and soil water reduction methods. Can. J. Soil Sci. 86(4):757-766.
Mapfumo, E., D.S. Chanasyk and C.L.A. Chaikowsky. 2006. Simulation of soil water content on a small reclaimed watershed in northern Alberta using the Root Zone Water Quality Model (RZWQM). Can. J. Soil Sci. 86(4):675-690.
Willms, W.D. and D.S. Chanasyk. 2006. Grazing effects on snow accumulation on rough fescue grasslands. Rangeland Ecol. Manage. 59(4):400-405.
Mapfumo, E., D.S. Chanasyk and C.L.A. Chaikowsky. 2006. Stochastic simulation of soil water status on reclaimed land in northern Alberta. J. Spat. Hydrol. 6(1):52-63.
McEachern, P., E.E. Prepas and D.S. Chanasyk. 2006. Landscape control of water chemistry in northern boreal streams of Alberta. J. Hydrol. 323(1-4): 303-324.
Miller, J.J., E.C.S. Olson, D.S. Chanasyk, B.W. Beasley, F.J. Larney and B.M. Olson. 2006. Phosphorus and nitrogen in rainfall simulation runoff after fresh and composted beef cattle manure application. J. Environ. Qual. 35(4):1279-1290.
Miller, J.J., E.C.S. Olson, D.S. Chanasyk, B.W. Beasley, L.J. Yanke, F.J. Larney, T.A. McAllister, B.M. Olson and L.B. Selinger. 2006. Bedding and within-pen effects on feedlot pen runoff quality using a rainfall simulator. J. Environ. Qual. 35(2):505-515.
Donkor, N.T., R.J. Hudson, E.W. Bork, D.S. Chanasyk and M.A. Naeth. 2006. Quantification and simulation of grazing impacts on soil water in boreal grasslands. J. Agron. Crop Sci. 192(3):192-200.
Whitson, I.R., D.S. Chanasyk and E.E. Prepas. 2005. Effect of forest harvest on soil temperature and water storage and movement patterns on Boreal Plain hillslopes. Journal of Environmental Engineering and Science 4: 429-439.
Ontkean, G.R., D.S. Chanasyk and R.D. Bennett. 2005. Snowmelt and growing season phosphorus flux in an agricultural watershed in south-central Alberta, Canada. Water Quality Research Journal of Canada 40(4): 402-417.
Olson, E.C.S., D.S. Chanasyk and J.J. Miller. 2005. Effects of fresh versus composted manure on hydrologic response from cropland. Transactions American Society of Agricultural Engineers 48(6):2163-2168.
Whitson, IR, DS Chanasyk and EE Prepas. 2004. Patterns of water movement on a logged Gray Luvisolic hillslope during the snowmelt period. Can J Soil Sci. 84:71-82.
Miller, JJ, BP Handerek, BW Beasley, ECS Olson, LJ Yanke, FJ Larney, TA McAllister, BM Olson, LB Salinger, DS Chanasyk and P Hasselback. 2004. Quantity and quality of runoff from a beef cattle feedlot in southern Alberta. J. Envir. Qual. 33:1088-1097.
Chanasyk, DS; Whitson, IR; Mapfumo, E; Burke, JM; Prepas, EE. 2003. The impacts of forest harvest and wildfire on soils and hydrology in temperate forests: A baseline to develop hypotheses for the Boreal Plain. J Environ Eng Sci 2: S51-S62.
Chanasyk, DS; Mapfumo, E; Willms, WD. 2003. Quantification and simulation of surface runoff from fescue grassland watersheds. Agricultural Water Management 59: 137-153.
- 2006 - Professional Recognition Award,Alberta Institute of Agrologists (AIA). This is awarded to a member of the Institute who has rendered special service or made a significant contribution to the betterment of the Institute.
- 2002 and 2004 - A Faculty Teacher of the Year, University of Alberta.
- 2004 - Faculty Teaching Award
- 2003 - NACTA Teaching Award, University of Alberta.
- 2001 - AIC Fellowship, Agricultural Institute of Canada (AIC). AIC's highest honor, the title of Fellow of the Agricultural Institute of Canada is granted to members of AIC' for professional distinction worthy of national recognition. Fellowships are granted to persons of integrity with noteworthy accomplishments in various areas of Canadian agriculture including scientific achievement, scholarship, leadership, breadth of knowledge and experience.
- 2000 - CSSS Fellowship, Canadian Society of Soil Science (CSSS). This is awarded to CSSS members with a distinguished record of accomplishment in Soil Science and service to the Society.
- 1998-1999 - Killam Annual Professorship, University of Alberta. This award is based on scholarly activities such as teaching, research, publications, creative activities, presented papers, supervision to graduate students and courses taught, as well as service to the community beyond the university.
- 1997 - The Jim Beamish Award, Canadian Society of Agricultural Engineering (CSAE). This award is given to a Canadian Society of Agricultural Engineering member who has produced outstanding work in teaching, research, extension or industry in the area of soil and water. The Jim Beamish Award, 1997, Canadian Society of Agricultural Engineering (CSAE). This award is given to a Canadian Society of Agricultural Engineering member who has produced outstanding work in teaching, research, extension or industry in the area of soil and water. The Jim Beamish Award, Canadian Society of Agricultural Engineering (CSAE). This award is given to a Canadian Society of Agricultural Engineering member who has produced outstanding work in teaching, research, extension or industry in the area of soil and water.
- 1996 - Distinguished Agrologist Award, Alberta Institute of Agrologists (AIA). The Distinguished Agrologist" Award is presented to a member of the Institute for professional distinction associated with an outstanding accomplishment in Agriculture, which is recognized provincially or regionally within the Province of Alberta.